I figured that for those of you who take the time to read this and know, yes, my blog title is the title of a book, and no, I have not read the book. I just find the saying to be nice. It has a very nice sound to it and I enjoy it. The story behind the saying is even more interesting than the saying itself, Joe has told me about it, and I'm gonna read the book. Don't worry.
This is obviously my first blog using this site, and I'm rather unsure of what to even talk about, but I figured that I might as well start one up since I've went through the trouble of making an account.
I figure that talking about books is something I feel that I can get into, so here we go...
Lately I find that just any old book may not be good enough for my tastes. It used to be that I could just read anything and it would be good enough, but as of lately I have a very particular style that I have to have. A good story is a definite must have, but even the most interesting of plots can't make up for a poor writing style.
I understand how boring this must be, but believe me, it will get better....
So I picked up the book Lucas by Kevin Brooks. It's about a girl who falls for this total outcast guy, then in being with him, realizes the prejudices or the island she lives on.
I realize that I probably slaughtered that description, so here's a link to the Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_(novel)
Seems kinda interesting, huh?
Well upon reading the first chapter or so, which basically drone on about nothing, which isn't always so bad, except when it's written so uninterestingly.
I forced my father to go pick up my brother, but suddenly, I hate my brother, and when we pick him up, he's an asshole and blah, blah, blah...
Why?
But enough about what I can't read, let's talk about what I can read.
So after ditching Lucas, I found myself searching online for reccomended reads. This is how I happened to find the book Under the Wolf, Under the Dog by Adam Rapp.
Very interesting...
Possibly one of the most depressing things that I have ever read in my entire life, but I couldn't let it go. It had almost literally became a part of me. The character is designed so well, you learn something new about him in every chapter, so you don't truly understand him as a person until you finish the last page. It's written so well.
Now I'm not saying that this is my favorite book in the entire world or anything, but it's honestly just something that I can get into and enjoy.
if you want more info on the book, here's a good review:
http://www.teenreads.com/reviews/0763618187.asp
It seems that the hopless character is kinda what gets me into a book. Take any book written by Chuck Palahniuk, one of my favorite authors. They're designed to fail from the very beginning, and it's a great experience following them through to something greater. Even if the character never accomplishes anything, it's always interesting to hear a story from the deepest of depressions. You tend to realize how much worse things could be for you in readng what the lives of these sad, lonely people are like.
Seeing these lifes can also have a negative effect.
True Story.
Why do we humans connect so closely to others we can't even know?
In reading a fictional novel, I can't help but to become close to the main character, thus making his problems a matter of concern for me. So if this character's mother could die, his brother kill himself, his father lose grip with reality, and he, himself fall deeper into some form of psychological breakdown, you could see how it might be a problem to be connecting with them. One might find themself losing an entire day, that would have otherwise been productive, to zombie-esque state of depression. You might, say, spend 3 hours in a bathtub reading and hoping that things brighten up for your new friend?
That's just a possibility.
In no way am I saying that this is a definite outcome of reading a depressing book, but hey...
...Shit happens.
I would still reccomend reading a depressing book every once in a while to anyone. It's a healthy experience, and it's just necessarry sometimes....
Well I'm beginning to feel as if I've written enough for the time being, and I feel that I will finish this up here. Thanks for reading and we'll see what I think of next time.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great Jorb on enterting the world of blogging.
ReplyDelete